I found out about her 40 faces project through another awesome friend, and thinking about the intent behind the project I didn't think about it twice I knew I wanted to be a part of it. So Wendy responded to my interest super fast and quickly set up an appointment to take my pictures. It was going to be a Monday.
That day I woke up pretty normal, and started getting ready for the day...my infamous shopping day! I was about to put make-up on and then remembered that she only had one requirement: no makeup. I stared myself in the mirror, and realized that even though I really don't wear that much makeup the little that I do has always given me a confidence boost. This is going to be interesting I thought....
It was beyond interesting...it was healing.
She got to my house with her son, and we started talking. I can only describe her as a warm fussy blanket haha...it was the absolute easiest to talk to her, even though I had never seen her on my life. I immediately had a feeling that she not only cared but looked at me the way few people see other people...I remember that she told me with this warm smile, "you're so cute look at that dimple!" I said thanks, with a bit of a blush and curiosity on how fast she had noticed my ONE dimple.
With few exceptions she never asked me to pose, she was taking pictures as we were talking and as I was keeping an eye on Alex making sure he didn't run to the street haha....And that, was the most vulnerable part of it all. See I'm used to posing for pictures, I give a certain smile, and when I see the pictures I will of course only publish the best ones. This was so out of my control, that it was freeing. Most of the time I didn't know when she was taking the pictures, so I couldn't pose, she was photographing plenty of candid smiles and mid-sentence expressions which was totally out of my comfort zone; and that for me equates healing...Pushing yourself to do something hard, to do something you wouldn't normally do, and this was it.
One of my favorite pictures is prob this one:
I remember exactly the time she took this picture, she asked me to think about myself as a teenager and that was my reaction hahaha....It seriously cracks me up. My teenage self is a topic of discussion, but one for another day.
I appreciate the opportunity I had to be a part of this project, and keep learning about myself and true beauty. I learned to see myself differently, be ok with letting go and not being concerned when someone might be pushing the button to take a picture.If I could, I would do it all over again.
So, if you haven't checked the project here are two links. First for my session, and seeing candid pics at the fullest, and second a link for the whole series. Look at it and ponder, I promise you won't regret it!
http://www.bedheadmom.com/face-25/
http://www.bedheadmom.com/category/40-faces/
Thanks Wendy for the opportunity!
No comments:
Post a Comment