The happenings of the Chaney casita

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Bilingual schools: A semi-political post

I know that the title alone will drive some people away. Please no more politics! But since a blog is about a people's world and their opinion about things, politics will come out at some point. Believe me I have been avoiding political posts at all costs, specially since the elections and stuff but this particular topic is important to me. I like to know, understand, and be prepared. I'm an officially declared nerd in so many ways. I read a lot. And lately I have been reading books and research on bilingual schools or dual immersion programs. Before I start with my own opinion about the matter I find it only fair to explain my background.

Ever since I can remember I've attended a bilingual school. A bilingual school tends to teach 50% of all classes in the minority language of choice. In my case while in Mexico it was English and Spanish while in Brasil as the majority language was Portuguese. I have experienced first-hand learning a new language by being completely immersed in the culture. And yes, the first day I didn't understand a darn thing. Nevertheless, with incredible support from my parents I was able to learn Portuguese and do well in school. All the testing was done in Portuguese so there was no special accommodation on my behalf to teach and test in my native language that being Spanish. Some would think it was traumatizing, but it wasn't, I don't even remember how I learned Portuguese I just know that I did. 


Here celebrating the very famous Carnaval in Sao, Paulo!


My first Flamenco dress! Truly multicultural, started learning Flamenco in Brasil!

 When we returned back home to Mexico I was bilingual. I knew some words here and there in English but I definitely didn't speak it. I didn't start learning and studying formal English until I was nine when we came back from Brasil to Mexico. I will be forever grateful that my parents decided that learning English was imperative for us as so many doors opened to me because of that decision. Same rules applied, I was given tests and classes in English 50% of the day. All of my friends had the same level of understanding so it was a neat experience to share that learning process with them. Again, I don't remember at what point I became fluent but I do remember studying hard the tenses, and reading plenty of books. This trend continued until High School when I decided to enter the program where all of my classes were taught in English with the exception of 2 maybe 3.

In California at 17, realizing I was fluent by then      





So of course by now you know that I love bilingual schools. I wouldn't be the person I am without them. That being said, I have to admit that the stance on education in the US sometimes baffles me. One of the first things that intrigues me is annoyance some people have on why all standardized tests are in English alone. This confuses me because when I was tested they didn't make any special accommodations for any student whose language was not the one in the test. When I was in Brasil testing was done in Portuguese of course. Being a therapist and doing what I do, I believe that there is a lot more to be said on the struggles of Latino students at school. A lot of it come right from inside their homes. And while some people fight that their testing should be done in Spanish I believe that if your goal is to help them become truly bilingual the testing will be done in English, and not because it is a better language but because children, especially young children, have the innate capacity to learn many languages. So there is no need to pick they can learn both, and since we live in a country in which everything is in English it is ridiculous to insinuate that children whose first language is not English shouldn't learn it. That being said, the other side of the coin is the complete fear some people have of kids learning a second language. Back home, all schools from Primary include at least an English class, and Bilingual schools are easily accessible. I even thought Brian was joking when he told me that in all his years of high school he was ever only taught present tense in Spanish. I couldn't believe it! There needs to be more awareness of the many many advantages of learning multiple languages. We know that when the time comes Alex will be placed in a bilingual school just by nature of the bicultural aspect at home. But if there is a day when he decides to learn another language, other than English and Spanish he will have very proud parents willing to support him all the way.

Thinking about what we want for our boy and how we are preparing to give that to him. I will be forever thankful for my parents who had the vision ever since I was a baby of teaching us the value of learning as much as we possibly could, of pushing us to do hard things - because let me tell you those first days of class in a different language were no piece of cake! I am and will always thank them for the education they gave me, and for placing me in the type of school where I could absorb as much as I could and now bring that to my own family. Mami, papi los quiero mucho! Mom, dad I love you so much!

My favorite pic from the good old days. I'm in my moms arms while offering my own to my dad taking the picture.

No comments: