"I once read a book that alluded to the idea that marriage is the fire of life—that somehow it’s designed to refine all our dysfunction and spur us into progressive wholeness. In this light, contrary to popular opinion, the goal of marriage is not happiness. And although happiness is often a very real byproduct of a healthy relationship, marriage has a far more significant purpose in sight. It is designed to pull dysfunction to the surface of our lives, set it on fire and help us grow.
When we’re willing to see it this way, then the points of friction in our marriages quickly become gifts that consistently invite us into a more whole and fulfilling experience of life."
I suddenly understood why I struggle everytime a Disney movie ends, they always end right at their wedding....and I'm left feeling like, they're missing the best part, the actual real part, the marriage!! (No wonder most of us feel cheated when we don't feel happy all the time in our marriage, but there's no cheating just reality). So enters Pocahontas, I've always had a love/hate relationship with it. I hate the fact that she didn't go with John Smith but at the same time I love it. I love the fact that it feels more real, and that her happily ever after looked well different, and that for once finding the right person is not the end of the story. Don't misunderstand me I deeply believe in happiness in marriage, I mean I'm a Marriage and Family Therapist haha.....self-evident I believe. But lately I have seen a ridiculous amount of patients who come after only a few months of marriage unhappy and dissatisfied. I seriously wonder what would happen if people went into the marriage with the full expectation that it is going to be hard, and yes some days you won't be happy (because let's face it our pride sometimes trumps our love for our spouse) but that in the end true joy can be experienced, I wonder if they would even show up in my office at all. My guess is probably no, at least not because of that problem.
When I married Brian I think I had seen him in every way possible (another reason why I'm a big proponent of longer dating periods), and although I knew marriage was hard, I believe there came a point in our marriage when knowing was not enough I had to choose to love this imperfect person who is choosing to love imperfect me. You see Disney movies never show that moment, that moment when you choose to love when it is precisely hard to do so. Some of them just show the process of finding the person, which in my personal opinion is really not that hard as when you actually find it....that's when the real growth begins.
So here's my proposition: make a Disney movie that starts after the honeymoon! And that might just help the upcoming generation understand how beautiful but hard it is to love someone and have that someone love you back.



5 comments:
I loved everything about this post!
Vanessa! Thank you so much! How are you, your little girl is adorable!
This post is right in every respect except one . . . I got my happily-ever-after with you so I can't say that it applies with me :)
I love you!
-B
This is the third post I've read in the past couple weeks about how the myth of a "perfect," conflict-less marriage should be debunked once and for all and let me tell you that I LOVED it! As someone whose parents have been married for almost 30 years, I'll admit that the best marriages do go through (AND overcome!) silly or even serious rough patches. I'm so happy that you've come to realize this and I back your suggestion 100%. (Plus, let's face it, your hubby's comment made this post SO. much. better!) Cheers & many blessings!
Annie, thanks for stopping by! I totally agree! Haha yes, my husband has a way of making things better :)
Post a Comment