The happenings of the Chaney casita

Friday, January 18, 2013

Seemingly boring days

Sometimes as a mom I feel like a washer: wash, rinse, spin, repeat, wash, rinse, spin, repeat. Although I know that each day is different in its own way, last Friday I woke up with a sense of pure boredom. I felt bad feeling like this but I sort of knew how the day was going to play out with most of my time either chasing Alex, feeding him, changing him (clothes and the never ending task of diapers), nursing him, and putting him down for a nap and at night to sleep. I knew I didn't have the best of attitudes but I couldn't help feeling that all my days were sort of...the same. So I dragged myself out of bed with this nagging feeling, got Alex out his crib and started prepping his breakfast...here we go again I thought. After playing with Alex and making sure he didn't bring down the whole house it was time for his nap....Hallelujah I thought! After he was asleep I went to my room and started reading from a book sponsored by the website Power of Moms. As I said a few posts back I'm a declared nerd as I'm always reading several books at once. Brian has flat out said that the pile of books on my nightstand is nothing short of ridiculous haha I understand what he means...but I can't help myself.You see I have learned that Heavenly Father teaches me through the written word...I have gotten way more answers to my questions and concerns through reading than by any other means. Last Friday was not an exception.

I was reading the chapter on the Power of Optimism, and how important it is for the true enjoyment of motherhood and its whole package. Then, there it was a short essay on a mother's feelings about boredom which she described as "Motherhood Groundhog Day," which I couldn't help but chuckle at the oh so accurate description. In the midst of all of those feelings, she says she read a quote that said: "Always thank God for a normal, boring day." There it was, my answer once more printed on a page. I started thinking gosh, this is absolutely right because a normal, "boring" say means that everyday my son wakes up, every day he continues to grow and eat, everyday he's healthy and discovers the world by making a mess, I get to stay home and see him fall asleep, it means my body is healthy as I'm still able to nurse him. A normal, boring day is a blessing it means that I have so many things.

I get to see this at the end of every meal when I give him water and he gets so happy.


I get to see him bond with his dad after a simple dinner in the evening (I know this is delayed but this was such a beautiful moment between father and son watching the Christmas tree)

Yep mommy has been taking pics all along!
I get to see him grow and achieve another developmental milestone such as this the first time he stood without assistance

And while chasing him around is exhausting, I'm glad I get to see his hilarious personality while he plays (that is in fact a bottle of hand lotion in his mouth)


It's not always easy, but I'm grateful for seemingly boring days in which I wash, rinse, spin and repeat. I'm proud to say that I have come to find the joy in my own Mother Groundhog Days. Have a happy weekend!

No comments: