The happenings of the Chaney casita

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Mexico Lindo

So it's been like FOREVER.....Things have been busy with the Holidays and all, but now we're back and hopefully we'll be able to get back to the routine. This year we were fortunate enough to be able to travel to Mexico City for Christmas and meet my entire family. It had been around 4 years since all of us had been together because of missions and then my pregnant self couldn't travel last year. It was an amazing experience having all of us there, and it was even more special because it was Alex's first Christmas! Of course, he had no idea what was going on but he really enjoyed his presents :) So here's a bit of a summary. The day after we got there being Christmas Eve we went to this AMAZING Mexican restaurant called Villa Maria. We had the most scrumptious tortilla soup along with some other Mexican dishes. First taste of home = delicious food.

Even though we were exhausted we really enjoyed it. Even Alex enjoyed eating with some Mariachis playing some music for us!



Then Christmas celebration started. Since it is only natural that my family starts thing well...sort of .....late....Alex had gone to sleep since he was so sleep deprived from the day before - we didn't get home until 10:30pm. Brian and I got all dressed up and were ready to eat some more delicious food and exchange gifts. Our FHE was really good in us portraying the very first Christmas, the birth of our Savior, while reading some scriptures and singing hymns, we even did the very traditional Posada song. It was very flattering that they picked us to be Mary and Joseph haha. The celebration lasted until about 2am in the morning.

Let the celebration begin!
We recovered the next day and just stayed home playing board games and such. The very next day we were up and ready to head to the Zoo! One of the few zoos in the world to have Panda bears. One of the best parts is that the zoo is completely free! Talk about awesome! Alex had a good time just looking around on his stroller, such a good sport!


We had the special opportunity to attend a Christmas show by the  Mexican Folklore National Dance team. It was quite the show, right outside the Castillo de Chapultepec. It was one of those distinct times when my blood boils with pride over our traditions and customs. Like I said that same day Mexico lindo como tu no hay dos (Beautiful Mexico there is no other like you).


Yes, to have an accurate portrayal of the Manger scene they had real animals on the set. I had to take a picture with the cow haha


The day after we headed to Xochimilco - we only took video, I totally forgot to take pics! Anyway, floating trajineras! Awesome! It was pretty warm which made me regret wearing a long sleeve shirt. Afterwards we had dinner at El Candelero another fantastic Mexican restaurant. Alex had his first try of my fish and LOVED IT!



That night after we put Alex to sleep we met with two of my best friends at Garabatos in Santa Fe mall. It was great seeing good friends and have them finally meet Brian.


 Whew almost done with the super short summary of our Christmas trip. On Saturday we headed to San Jacinto a folksy place where artists go to sell their paintings. Brian and I ended up getting one for our kitchen a very traditional bodegon with some talavera on the sides - will have to take a pic of it later. That night we went and saw Life of Pi at the VIP theathers, which consist of nothing less than a full reclining chair, along with a waiter to bring you water and food of your choice, and a little table on the side with a blanket to watch your movie. Now that is the way all movies should be watched! And here's the best news it's the same price for the normal theaters here, yep $8 bucks, now you know why I have a hard time paying for that when I'm only getting a hard chair, no food, no waiter and no blanket!

New Year's Eve day! We had lunch at Giornale in Arcos Bosques, very close to where my parents live. Alex did not want to stay on his high chair and wanted to look around. It's a pretty cool mall so I can't blame him.



When we came back my family organized a little celebration for our Alex since most of them won't be able to attend his 1 year birthday party in 2 weeks. My mom got him some delicious cake, and my siblings decorated the room for him. Aww thank you guys! He LOVED the cake and wanted more but it was almost bedtime and I didn't want him hyper from so much sugar...so it'll have to wait little one!



After he went to bed and my cousins came over the New Year's celebration began with over 50 tamales, atole, and plenty of laughter. We had FHE and played many games - none of which I won but I had SOOO much fun! My siblings got the men some fancy hats and some tiaras for the ladies, we received 2013 with our traditional grape contest and with FELIZ ANO annnouncements and hugs! And after many months of not dancing my brother and I danced some salsa, and merengue. I love our traditions!


 The next day we did nothing haha We needed to recover from going to bed so late the night before and we needed to pack to leave the following day. While I was packing and Brian was watching Alex I went into the room and found him walking across the room on the brand new walker Santa brought him! He looked so cute! I know, walking unassisted is right around the corner!


It was a fantastic trip! I adore my country, the smells, the flavors, the people...but most of all I love my entire family together! It just reaffirmed that although we all might be far away the heart is close to those we love the most. I loved Alex getting to participate in the festivities and bonding with my family. This little one is my sunshine! He'll be one in 2 weeks, and I can hardly believe it. Here's to another year with this handsome little boy!



No comments: