The happenings of the Chaney casita

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Reminiscing: Alex's birth story

It seems only fit that today, Alex's 1st birthday I write about his birth story. I realized a couple of days ago that I never wrote his birth story, here that is, because after his birth the last thing on my mind was getting back to the world of blogging! But here it is, better late than never.

I just realized that I didn't document my pregnancy here either. But I won't bore you with all the details. In summary, the first trimester was absolutely miserable as I had the worst morning sickness. I lost almost 10 pounds, and for those who know me wondered where those 10lbs came from because I'm petite size - 100% Latina! Anyway, that went away around 14 weeks and the second trimester was heaven on earth! I was exercising, plenty of energy, eating again! And of course I started showing and feeling movement. Yep, I was one of those that showed of her pregnant belly proudly!

Here at 19 weeks
Here at 23 weeks
Third trimester arrived and I was still feeling good, granted more tired and sleeping was becoming more difficult, but I would say I was one happy pregnant lady.

About to pop at 37 weeks
Around week 35-36 or so, not long before the pic above was taken, Brian and I were told that little Alex was breech. His head resting on my left ribs and his body diagonal and that more than likely this would mean a c-section. I remember coming home and crying while Brian held me in his arms. There are few times when I have been more scared. Keep in mind that for the past months we had been to a birthing class and we had been preparing for a natural birth. A c-section was not in my plan. We tried few different things to help Alex turn but by the appointment of week 39 it was almost certain that a c-section was going to happen as he hadn't moved at all - the little stinker. To top all of this around the same I developed PUPPS. It's a pregnancy skin condition that can only be described as pure and absolute AGONY! I feel hesitant to describe the details but you can go look it up and then realize why some women want to be induced instead of having to endure another day with the pain and itching. Thank goodness as soon as he was born it went away completely. Anyway, so the last month of pregnancy was difficult to say the least.

They scheduled me for a c-section January 16th given that my due date was the 19th. We had to be at the hospital at 6am! I'm sooo not a morning person but at the same time I was glad it was early as they ask you to fast before the surgery. The day before Brian gave me a blessing as I was visibly nervous and scared about the whole thing.

We woke up at 5am getting the hospital bag and everything else we needed ready to leave and wow become parents! Brian held my hand the entire time we drove to the hospital when it was still pitch dark outside. He kept telling me that I could do this, and that everything was going to be ok. I knew that he was nervous too and was so grateful that he helped me stay sane through the whole process.

We got to the hospital and they immediately hooked me up and checked to make sure Alex was ok. I remember watching him just move around not knowing that in an hour or so he was going to come to this world.  The anesthesiologist came and gave me an epidural, which I have to say I hated the feeling of not being able to move my legs at all! Then, it was time. Brian dressed up to go to the surgery room and held my hand the entire time. Once they gave me more anesthesia, my body started shaking uncontrollably. It was partially the combination of nervousness and the meds going through my body. Brian held my hand and we both started crying, he started telling me to relax and think about our little boy, he asked me to think about his little hand, feet, and toes. As soon as he asked me to picture our baby boy I stopped shaking it was amazing! The anesthesiologist then told me they were about to start and if I could feel anything, I said I couldn't feel a thing...then he said "good because we started 5 minutes ago!" I just started laughing as I believe that helped me as well, he had a great sense of humor and I needed a dose of that during that time. Brian and I looked at each other for the rest of the time, and then the doctor told me I was going to feel pressure as they were about to take him out....it wasn't painful but I definitely felt it. And then the most beautiful sound a little sweet cry that lasted a total of 5 seconds haha....he was so mellow as a newborn. I just remember looking at Brian and both of us knowing that he was our son and we were parents! We both kept crying as it was a spiritual sacred moment for both of us. He went to see that everything was ok, and then brought him to me. I can say that I only saw perfection! He was our angel and I knew it! It was such a relief to know that he was healthy and super alert. It was the most sacred hour of my life (maybe only equal to being sealed to Brian) and also the most surreal.

They took me to my room and I just remember feeling exhausted and kinda loopy from all the meds haha when they finally brought him back I felt a sense of completeness. I knew him and he knew me. I was a mom, his mom, and my life has forever changed since. Happy birthday my sweet boy! This year has been wonderful and I get to enjoy your sweet personality every single day! Thank you!





No comments: